Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Life Lessons from a Star (Genre - Life and Living)

The other day I was watching a tamil blockbuster movie Padayappa, starring the legend "Rajnikanth" - and thoughts began forming in my mind. Thats when I decided I need to pen them into a blog. Having decided to write one, I have been thinking about the stereotypes in movies and relation between reel and real life.May be I am halucinating but there seems to be some kind of parleys between the two. 
For starters I took the example of three of my favourite stars  Amitabh bachan, Kamal hasan and Rajnikanth. AB has been initially sterotyped as an angry young man and that reference has hardly been altered over decades of actors in the industry - come to think of it ; AB was know to be a hot headed man during the 70's with his penchant for being very fussy onthe sets(ref: Zanjeer, Deewar etc.,)- he later migrated to do complex love stories (Ref : silsila, Khabhi Khabhi) followed recently by movies with strained family ties ( Mohabattein, KKKG  etc.,) which strangely seems to coincide with his personal life at that point of  time. Coming to Kamal Hasan - this is one hell of a versatile actor with a penchant for doing very complicated characters in twistingly complex situation we only hope one does not encounter in real life, and the best part it he does it with elan and conviction to silence the best of critics - the movies that come to my mind are numerous ( Mahanadi, Nayagan, Thevar magan, Anbe sivam...boy almost all his movies are complicated !!) now coming to his personal life ... its complicated ... with his 2 and half spouses and interestingly placed children. Now I cant help but think do they select the roles based on its complexity just because they themselves identify with the situation and are able to deliver so much conviction into their roles due to what happens in their personal lives ?? You may call me biased with the movies .. may be I am but I am talking about the blockbuster movies of those years. 
Before I become more serious and divert the attention from the main protagonist of this blog - "Thalaiva"- hmm... yea the main story is yet to begin ... what you just read happens to be the boring introduction to art movies wish it would end sooner than later... and wait for the raunchy item numbers, action sequence and punch dialouges !! Kanna ....how is it possible to write an article on superstar and forget his punch ..right ??  
Well the introduction was meant to introduce the stereotype heros .. and what is Rajni's stereotype ? In my opinion .. he makes being the loser and underdog and his effort to trump life..real good. I think his movies which have ripped the box office many have been those where people have given him a raw deal and how he comes toppers in all the situations. For that matter if you look at his personal life too, the transformation from Sivaji Rao Gaekwad to superstar is anything but coincidental to the movies... dont you think .. exactly what I was trying to imply in my intro ... ahh .. now you see the point ??
There have been other actors who have potrayed this role, but he makes it look good. No matter how many times I see "Padayappa", "Arunachalam", "Mutthu", "Basha", "Sivaji" - I just feel good at the end of it. Coupled with his punch lines which seem to have meaning beyond the four corners of the movie and spread across the way to live your life makes it all the more enchanting. 
Here are a compilation of some of his famous dialouges and the hidden meanings I see in them. I may be wrong...but do I care .... naaaa !!
Annamalai - “Naan solrathaiyum seiven, sollathathiyum seiven.” (“I will do what I  say, I will also do what I don’t say.”) - If you promise someone something, you better keep it and its always a good idea that you deliver more than what you promise.That makes people trust you and ensure that they can count on you in times when they need you. At the same time dont say anything you cannot fulfill.
Basha -“Naan oru dhadavai sonna nooru dhadavai sonna madhiri.” ("What I say once is equivalent to saying it to a 100 times") - When you say something have total conviction in it, that other dont ask you to repeat it.Conviction comes from confidence and confidence comes from a clear conscience.
Muthu -“Naan eppa varuven, eppadi varuvennu yarukkum theriyadhu, aana varavendiya neratthil correct-ange varuven.”( No one knows when or how I come, but will make it when its rightly required) - Well you must be thinking I am crazy but to me it sounded more like Morpheaus telling Neo in The Matrix - "You are in here at this time and place for a reason, you saw exactly what you should see and you heard exactly what you were supposed to hear and you said exactly what you need to say - there are no ironies in life and everything happens as per a larger plan - things will become more clear as time progresses. So you see in life you are the right person in the right place in the right time...always...provided you see it positively!! There are no mistakes in life-just ask any wise man in his death bed - if his life makes any sense to him .... and he would say he now can connect all the dots.
Arunachalam- “Andavan solran. Arunachalam seiran.” (Gods instructs and Arunachalam executes)- Have you ever observed that the more you try to take control of life and situation  into your hands the more out of control it gets and the moment you hand over the reins to the one above and stop forcing circumstances to change the way you like it -everything falls in place..albeit in a span of time. One of the physics priciple which comes to my mind  "Resistance leads to friction and friction leads to heat" !! Cant help but to think we are mere pawns in a larger game of life.
Padayappa - “En vazhi...thani vazhi.” ( My way is a unique way) This happens to be my all time favourite movie of Rajni and its littered with memorable lines all over the movie though I choose this one coz I feel its the one others should try to be.Though most people follow the footsteps of others, the path of righteous principles one creates for oneself should be one such that others follow it.When one sets principles, it somehow feels that the whole world is set to detract you from those said principles - but the one who sticks to it will be the one remembered till the end.
Baba -“Gatham, gatham" (Past is past) This was one pathetic movie !! but the wisdom pearl it leaves is a profound one. Any moment which has touched the realms of past cannot be altered, no matter how good, bad or ugly you have been, no amount of power or wealth will get it back to you for a correction. So its just futile to fret about it, instead we should concentrate on the current moment with a view to the future. If we manage to make this moment memorable it will automatically translate to a beautiful past.
Now when I read the above blog it reads like a politicians bhashan :), I feel I have convinced myself in writing the way I wrote with rose tinted glasses- for others who have seen those movies - it must be pure entertainment value or just silly people blabbering. Thats the beauty of life, it looks exactly like the way you want it to look. The sooner people realise that the power in ones hand, the sooner they shall learn to wield it.
Feel free to add your favourite quotes from movies and which you think has a deeper meaning in it.

3 comments:

  1. Oye.. I found this one gud. Really nice Interpretations. Again the interpretations are subjective, it probably matches my line of thoughts as well. But the thing abt rajni movies are that everyone can watch it, it does not have a restricted audience but kamal's movies (though it is classy) cannot be appreciated by all. I like both of them but kamal doesn't manage to make it big at the box office with the people as Rajni does, So hats off to him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sangs ... thanks for your comments ...Chuma adhurudelle ?? ... he he :) Pity I was too tired interpreting that I forgot abt Sivaji ... :) esp the "singam/panni" one :)True rajni is a mass hero and kamal is an class act meant for mature audience ... still cannot compare one with the other. hey dont forget to add your fav dialougue and why you liked it ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adhighama Aasappadra Aambleyum Adhighama Kovappedra Pombleyum Nalla Vaazhntha Charithrame Kedayadhu.

    "Panninga daan kootama varum singam singlela than varum!! "

    Aandavan ketavangaluku keetadellam koduppaaru aana kadisila kai vitturuvaru,,! aana avar nalavangaluku kodukamaataru ,,.. aana kadaisi varaikum kaividamattaru..!!

    His best English dialogue.. " rich r getting richer Poor r getting Poorer..".... (sivaji)

    these are my fav dialogues thalaivar rocks.:))

    ReplyDelete