Sunday, October 18, 2009

This Is It Michael !! (Genre - Review)


Michael Jackson and controversy seem to go hand in hand. This bonding seem to extend beyond the only certainty in life "Death". His latest single "This is It" has this coveted distinction. This single was supposed to be released during his much publicized performance in London before his untimely death. Yea I know ... death is always untimely but being a fan of MJ since my childhood days the world will surely miss the music maestro and the one and only king of POP. One blog will not be sufficient to cover the many hits and controversies in his life but in this blog I wish to cover my first impressions and the song "This is it".


My first tryst with MJ was when my dad bought our first tape recorder somewhere in early 80's, and his album "BAD" was one of the first cassette we had - a new fan was born :). Later I happened to see his movie "Moonwalker" with the same songs as in BAD, and my awe for this guy has only grown since then. His spin or moonwalk and his famous patented (yea you read it right a PATENT) lean show in the video Smooth Criminal ( I still wonder how he did it) just makes me drool. BTW a bit of MJ trivia - do you know he was never trained in dance ... and he is a natural... isn't that awesome !! I have had my entire cupboard covered with his pics and have most of his videos with me - I had a poster of him with his pet Chimp called "Bubble" and my mom used to tell that I was his chimp.... I still am and am proud of it.


Back to the controversy..the song "This is it"was released worldwide on October 12 at midnight on www.michaeljackson.com and it immediately became a controversy.

The critics have pointed out that the song, written in 1980, bears a strong resemblance to a song by Sa-Fire ( a Puerto Rican) “I Never Heard”, which was written by Jackson and Paul Anka in 1991.The song was sold by Paul Anka to Sa-Fire in the late 80's.

Now the studio with the rights to this song have agreed to give half of the royalties to Paul Anka - trying to settle the issue without much publicity and as little press coverage. This is a move to avoid the bad press before the release of their movie with the same title to be released on Oct 28th 2009 - worldwide.


Having heard both, the song is melodious in the genre of "You are not alone" by MJ, which also happens to be one of my favs. Its such a disappointment that we don't get to hear it from the king of pop himself.


World has indeed lost a gem of an artist.The legend of Michael Jackson will live on till music is around and will be read with the likes of Elvis Presley for generations to come. May his soul rest in peace.


Check out the links to the different versions of the song.

Sa-Fire : I Never Heard

Michael Jackson : This is It


This is it - Lyrics

This is it, here I stand

I’m the light of the world, I feel grand

Got this love I can feel

And I know yes for sure it is real

And it feels as though I’ve seen your face a thousand times

And you said you really know me too yourself

And I know that you have got addicted with your eyes

But you say you gonna live it for yourself.

I never heard a single word about you

Falling in love wasn’t my plan

I never thought that I would be your lover

C’mon baby, just understand

This is it, I can say,

I’m the light of the world, run away

We can feel, this is real

Every time I’m in love that I feel

And I feel as though I’ve known you since 1,000 years

And you tell me that you’ve seen my face before.

And you said to me you don’t want me hanging round

Many times, wanna do it here before

I never heard a single word about you

Falling in love wasn’t my plan

I never thought that I would be your lover

C’mon baby, just understand

This is it, I can feel

I’m the light of the world, this is real

Feel my song, we can say

And I tell you I feel that way

And I feel as though I’ve known you for a thousand years

And you said you want some of this yourself

And you said won’t you go with me, on a while

And I know that it’s really cool myself

I never heard a single word about you

Falling in love wasn’t my plan

I never thought that I would be your lover

C’mon baby, just understand

I never heard a single word about you

Falling in love wasn’t my plan

I never thought that I would be your lover

C’mon baby, just understand

No comments:

Post a Comment