Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Monk Who Ate His Meat (Genre - Trivia)


I was a little surprised to learn that a particular monk is a non-vegetarian and is trying to quit. Well normally it would not have attracted my attention other than the coincidence that, from time to time I contemplate quitting it too.
The fact which caught my attention was that he was head of the pack.
Yes, his holy highness the "Dalai Lama" is a non-vegetarian !!
Well I was intrigued by the paradox of this man, trying to figure out his moral state of mind where he is the leader of the Tibetan Buddhism which teaches "Karuna" (compassion) and "Ahimsa" (non-voilence) as one of their foremost principles of leading ones life. He goes on record to say that being a "NV" is bad for the body and has ordered his monasteries not to cook meat.But still could not fathom his "Trying to Quit" line !
I admire him for his candid talks and open sessions. He is a leader who is knowledgeable and popular without a doubt.But I was not able to put a finger as to what this had to do with me....until I sensed a bit of a revelation within my own mind.
At some level (read as trying to quit eating meat) my mind was drawing stupid solace for not being strong enough to put my convictions before my desires similar to this renowned Nobel Laureate. Strange equation in my mind !! :)
Its a beautiful mind ...ain't it ?? !!

1 comment: